If you purchase an independently reviewed item through our site, we earn an affiliate commission. Read our affiliate disclosure.
One of the biggest impacts of varroa mite infestation is colony collapse that is fueled by winter challenges such as food shortage, extremely low temperatures, and predisposition to pests and diseases. If the mites are left uncontrolled, even strong bee colonies can be wiped out in a matter of months. Varroa mites have ferocious appetite and enjoy a shorter life cycle giving them an edge over the honey bee. The Bayvarol strips helps in the diagnosis and treatment of varroa mites. It comprises Flumethrin as its active ingredient. In this article, we will discuss its efficacy and usage.
About the Bayvarol Varroa Mite Treatment
Bayvarol Strips from Bayer are specially formulated to counter varroa mites. It comprises 40 pieces delivered in 2 packs with each strip containing 3.6mg of flumethrin. These strips are a parasiticide that is intended for diagnosis and treatment of the mites.
Flumethrin is ideally a pyrethroid insecticide widely used in veterinary medicine. It mainly targets parasitic insects in dogs, sheep, cattle, horses, and honeybee colonies. The varroa mite is a close relative to the ticks you see in warm blooded animals such as cattle and others.
Flumethrin is best suited for varroa mite treatment since it is a cost effective solution that provides long term results. It targets all stages of the mite and is never affected by rain. It also has no effect on the honeybees but will only target the harmful pests. The strips are distributed over the entire hive through contact, and offer a single or one time solution to the varroa mites. It does not lose its efficacy for a longer period and that means mites that hatch from sealed brood are eliminated as well.
- Bayvarol is a treatment option that offers dual protection to the honey bees. It helps detect and ascertain the infection level and also helps in treatment and prevention of the varroa mites.
- It guarantees an effective control and easy diagnosis of the mites.
- Its primary ingredient discriminately targets the varroa mites but does not affect the honey bees.
- The ingredient is easily passed over from one bee to the other through contact making it possible reach out to the varroa mites even in places that may seem impossible to get to.
- It guarantees a longer lasting effect with the ingredient lasting for at least 8 weeks without losing its efficacy. This also means that re-infesting and newly emerging mites are eliminated.
- The primary ingredient flumethrin, is one of the best when it comes to the treatment of parasitic mites. It is not only used in treatment of bee colonies but is also included in products used for treating parasitic mites in other warm blooded animals such as livestock.
The Bayvarol strips should never be used during honey production period. All honey supers should be removed before you begin using the strips. It is also advisable that treatment is carried out when you have the least number of brood within the beehive. These strips are not reusable and that means you discard them upon use. You should also use the strips within its useful life span. Safely dispose any of the strips when the two years of its usefulness have elapsed.
There is also an increased concern over mites developing resistance to the primary ingredients included in the treatment. To avoid this, ensure the strips are not kept for more than 6 to 8 weeks inside the hive. Again, avoid exposing honey meant for consumption to these strips. Otherwise, this surplus honey will be contaminated by the chemical. The honey that is contaminated is not healthy food. Any chemical residues are not allowed by most regulators. It any traces are found out, this honey will be sealed and discarded by regulators.
Bayvarol strips should be well positioned within the bee colony. Recommended use entails placing at least 2 strips for stronger bee colonies and 1 for nucleus or weak bee colonies. For stronger ones, you can place the first strip between the 3 and 4 frames and then the second on the 7 and 8 frames. Choose the most suitable hanging device for these strips. The commonly used ones include small nails, staple, or even thin pin. They should be well positioned and hang freely between frames instead of resting on the combs. These strips should remain inside the bee colony for a period of 3 to 30 days depending on the number of the brood.
Seasonal timing is crucial when it comes to the use of the Bayvarol strips for varroa mite treatment. Early spring treatment, just before honey flow begins guarantees safe use of the product. Treatment during fall when honey flow has been completed is also excellent timing. During summer and autumn, you can begin treatment once all the honey intended for consumption has been pumped out from the hive.
Proper handling should be adhered to, such as handling strips with protective gloves. Guidelines that come with the label should also be adhered to religiously. Be keen also to check out local regulations regarding handling of chemical treatments.
Pros and Cons
- It is an economical choice for most beekeepers. The 40 strips that come with the package are sufficient to cater even for huge beekeeping operations.
- Guarantees longer lasting effect hence eliminating the mites that re-infest or those that emerge from encrusted brood cells.
- Single treatment is all it takes to keep the bee colony free from the mites.
- It offers dual purpose: diagnosis and treatment of the varroa mites.
- Guarantees a comprehensive treatment of the bee colony. It ensures all parts of the hive are treated. It is easily passed on from one bee to the other through contact.
- The product does not harm the bees but discriminately targets the varroa mites.
- Does not affect the normal physiological state or normal behavior of the bees.
- Fast in determining infection level and treat the bee colony.
- The primary ingredient has been tested and proven to be effective in eliminating parasitic mites.
- The ingredient has minimal residual effect.
- Flumethrin does not lose its efficacy even when exposed to rain.
- Will contaminate honey if used during the honey period.
Proper storage is highly recommended by the manufacturer. It is important to adhere to local official storage regulations. These strips should be kept in a dry and dark place away from direct sunlight and moisture. These will impair the product rendering it ineffective. It should also be kept away from children who might be tempted to ingest the product. Any contact with the mouth may pose a serious risk and hence should be avoided. Sufficient storage space is required for the product. With all precautions observed, the Bayvarol strips are expected to remain in good condition for 2 years from date of manufacture. Once it expires, you should not use it but safely dispose the product. It is also important to note that Bayvarol strips should never be reused.
A Final Word
The Bayvarol Varroa Mite Treatment strips helps wipe out the dangerous parasite. Honey bee colonies can suffer immensely and even risk a colony collapse if serious counter measures are not employed against the varroa mites. This product from Bayer serves two purposes: diagnosis and treatment of varroaosis. Diagnosis is essential since this will give a rough picture of the mite severity to the beekeeper. The great thing with this treatment option is the fact that it has zero impact on honey bee colony normal physiological activities. This means it does not affect honey production, normal growth of brood, and adult bee activities. It is however very important that treatment is carried out when honey production is at its lowest. This means you avoid treating bees when the honey produced is intended for human consumption. Proper handling and storage of the strips is also greatly emphasized.
These strips will work for all beekeeping enterprises irrespective of size and will certainly guarantee a longer term solution to the varroa mite problem. Overall, this is one of the best products to use in the treatment of varroosis and it is highly recommended by most beekeepers.Check Price