If you purchase an independently reviewed item through our site, we earn an affiliate commission. Read our affiliate disclosure.
Honey harvesting can be an exciting process, but without the right tools and equipment it becomes stressful to effectively harvest the honey. One single colony can produce up to 250 pounds of honey when the season is right. However, without the right tools you can never harvest that amount of honey. One of the simplest methods of harvesting is to slice the combs off the frames then cut them into bricks that are stored as they are and ready for eating. This is easy but wasteful. To effectively harvest honey, you need some equipment such as a heated uncapping knife, uncapping tank, and an extractor. Each of these tools play a crucial role during honey harvesting. The Mann Lake HH130 2 Frame Plastic Extractor is one of the honey harvesting tools that is highly recommended for beginning beekeepers. It has been designed with all you can ask for from an excellent, quality honey extractor.
Important Beekeeping Tools and Equipment
It does not take a lot of equipment to be a beekeeper. To get started you need the following:
- The Hive – this is obviously top priority and you should get an excellent quality hive. The ideal starter hive kit is one that comes assembled.
- A smoker – you need a smoker for various activities such as: moving bees, regular inspections, and during frame removal for honey extraction. The smoker helps tame the bees and make them docile.
- Veil, Protective Jacket, Gloves, and a Hat – all these are required to keep bee stinging at minimal. They provide protection and flexibility during honey harvesting.
- The extractor – this is required for efficiently spinning out the liquid honey from the honey combs. It helps prevent the combs from getting damaged so that they can be taken back to the bees for use.
About the Mann Lake HH130 2 Frame Plastic Honey Extractor
The Mann Lake HH130 2 Frame Plastic Honey Extractor has been designed specifically for the beginning beekeeper. It is made of a heavy food grade plastic and features a steel shaft, plastic lid, and a plastic honey gate. Its durable handle is made of steel and plastic and it is capable of rotating in either directions.
- Made of heavy grade plastic ad has a steel shaft, a plastic lid, and a plastic honey gate.
- 2 frame extractor, an ideal size and quality for the beginner.
- It has a durable steel/plastic handle which can rotate in either direction.
- Fits into the Mann Lake HH161 stand.
- Product dimensions: 26-1/2 16 x 16 inches. It weighs about 10.1 pounds and its shipping weight is about 12.7 pounds. It is eligible for shipping to selected countries outside the US.
Pros and Cons
- Excellent quality at an affordable price.
- Easy to assemble and clean.
- Ideal for the hobbyist.
- Fits different sized frames.
- Very quick to harvest.
- Plastic build not as durable as stainless steel.
- Does not have a clear lid through which you can monitor progress.
- Extracts only one side at a time.
- Difficult to get your arm all the way down when cleaning.
The Mann Lake HH130 2 Frame Plastic Honey Extractor is a good product. I was particularly intrigued by the fact that it fits different size frames and takes a very short time to spin the honey combs. Not to mention the fact that it is quite affordable and being made from plastic, is very lightweight.
It is easy to set it up and it took me only a couple hours to harvest the honey. However, it is a downside that it can only extract from one side of the comb at a time. An inconvenience no doubt, but the tool is still easy to use and does save you time.
Another setback is that it can be difficult to get your arm down into the extractor when cleaning, more so if you have huge arms (which, unfortunately I do). But overall, this is a well-constructed extractor with all you can ask for as a beginning beekeeper. It extracts honey well without damaging the combs. It is quite easy to set up, operate and clean and therefore I would recommend it for beginners just getting started.
A Final Word
The Mann Lake HH130 2 Frame Plastic Extractor can be a valuable addition to your beekeeping tools and equipment. It will not only spin the honey combs quickly and efficiently, but it does it with no damage to the honey combs. All its interior and exterior features have been designed to meet the needs of the beginner. It is easy to operate and maintain and therefore you will be an expert in using it within no time. If you are just getting started in beekeeping, then this extractor from Mann Lake is one you should definitely consider. While it’s exterior is not as durable as other stainless steel alternatives, it is still a good choice for beginners. It is one of those honey extractors I can never hesitate in recommending.
Have you ever used the Mann Lake HH130 2 Frame Plastic Extractor? Leave a comment below and let us know what your experience was like.Check Price Check Price (Australia)