Thanks for visiting our website. For us to continue writing great content, we rely on our display ads. Please consider disabling your ad-blocker or whitelisting our website before proceeding.
If you purchase an independently reviewed item through our site, we earn an affiliate commission. Read our affiliate disclosure.
I particularly love bees and it is quite intriguing to connect with nature while learning about these social animals that produce this amazing delicacy called honey. However, no matter how exciting it might be to be a beekeeper, these small insects do not tolerate it when we invade their guarded territories. Therefore, a full beekeeping suit is a must have for any serious beekeeper. You have to procure a good quality beekeeping suit since quality differs immensely among various brands. Thus it is prudent to carry out a little research before making a purchase since no one wants to find out later that their suit lets in bees, or the suit is uncomfortable. That’s where BeeKeepClub comes in, we’ll do the research for you.
The Mann Lake Economy Beekeeper Suit with Self Supporting Veil is one of the supplier’s best and will never disappoint if you are looking for a well designed and excellent quality beekeeping suit. It has all the features desired of a beekeeping suit and comes at an attractive price.
What defines a good beekeeping suit?
I think there are certain characteristics and features that a beekeeping suit should have before I can consider it a good beekeeping suit. These are mainly:
- Ease of use – I personally hate a beekeeping suit that gives me a hard time when getting in and out of the suit. Remember you will not be seeking help whenever you want to wear or remove it. Therefore, get a beekeeping suit that is easy to put on and remove. Its attachments should also be easy to use and you should be able to do it yourself. I found the Mann Lake Economy Beekeeper Suit was easy to get in and out of.
- Durability – You should buy a suit that is not only strong enough to endure but should also come at a reasonable price. It should neither be too thick that you boil with heat nor be too thin. The material should be strong enough but still allow a desirable level of breathability. The Mann Lake Economy Beekeeper Suit is not ventilated, but it being made of cotton helps to keep temperatures low.
- Coverage – Your suit should cover you properly so as to prevent bees from getting inside the beekeeping suit. There should be no loophole for the bees to get into contact with your skin. The Mann Lake Economy Beekeeper Suit comes with a self supporting veil and even has elastic at the wrist and ankles. However, it does not come with any gloves, which is a letdown.
- Pockets or loops – It’s wise to choose beekeeping suits that have pockets. This allows you to carry along some essential items when busy with the hives. You should therefore get a suit that allows you to have an easy access to your tools. The Mann Lake Economy Beekeeper Suit more than adequately satisfies this criteria.
- Visibility – The suit should be designed in such a way that you can see clearly what you are working on. The veil should be designed within the right distance from your face so as to facilitate a clear view. It should not be too thick or dark such that you do not see clearly.
To see our rankings of the best beekeeping suits, click here.
About the Mann Lake Economy Beekeeper Suit with Self Supporting Veil
This beekeeping suit from Mann Lake has a heavy duty front and its neck zippers have a Velcro closure flap to ensure a well-secured neck. There are 4 pockets, with 2 on the heap area and the other 2 at the chest area. With these, you do not have to worry about where to keep your tools as you engage in bee and hive management. There is also an additional hive tool pocket on its leg for extra convenience, bringing the overall total number of pockets to 5.
Other great features of this suit include its elasticity on the ankles and wrists so as to offer extra protection. You will also be intrigued by how easy it is to put it on and off, thanks to its heavy duty zippers at the ankles. With this suit you do not have to worry about your head since it has a self-supporting collapsible hood made of two fabrics on the hood’s back side. This gives the back of your head great protection from bees. The high quality blend of 60% cotton and 40% polyester makes this suit one of the best quality beekeeping suits in the market today.
- Made of 40% polyester and 60% cotton.
- It has heavy duty zippers on its ankles for easy wearing and removal.
- Comes with elastic ankles and wrists.
- 5 pockets are available for your convenience.
- It has an elastic thumb holds that assist in holding the sleeves down.
- The self supporting collapsible veil has two layers at the back hence giving extra protection to the back of your head.
- Weighs 3.4 pounds and measures 2 x 12 x 14.5 inches. Its shipping weight is 3.6 pounds.
Pros and Cons
- Well-fitting and is available in different sizes.
- Excellent protection against bees.
- Pockets available for your convenience.
- Made of excellent quality material.
- Light enough for easy movement.
- Doesn’t come with any beekeeping gloves.
- The back of the veil may push up against the forehead exposing the head to potential stings.
I am well pleased with the Mann Lake Economy Beekeeper Suit with Self Supporting Veil and I highly recommend it. It is a well made, quality suit, and I expected nothing less from Mann Lake. It is a real time saver and allows you to feel more confident when dealing with bees, knowing that you are well protected.
A Final Word
If you are looking for a good quality beekeeping suit, then look no further. The Mann Lake Economy Beekeeper Suit with Self Supporting Veil is made of excellent quality materials by one of the best beekeeping suppliers around. I recommend this suit to anyone who desires top notch protection as they work on their hives.
Do you own the Mann Lake Economy Beekeeper Suit with Self Supporting Veil? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think of it.Check Price