If you purchase an independently reviewed item through our site, we earn an affiliate commission. Read our affiliate disclosure.
The honey extractor is an essential beekeeping equipment. Every beekeeper whether the hobbyist or the professional must invest in a good quality honey extractor. The manually operated honey extractor in particular is one of the most popular among beekeepers irrespective of skill level. This may be attributed to the fact that manually operated units work even in remote areas or come in handy when there is a power failure.
Asides the manual honey extractor is the motorized one that utilizes electric power to operate. The Little Giant Farm & Ag EXT2PL 2 Frame Plastic Extractor requires little manual effort and is capable of spinning a few frames within a short time. Both manual and motorized units do a good job when it comes to spinning honey combs. The two also have their share of advantages and disadvantages. It is also important to consider the material used for making the honey extractor. Stainless steel and plastic material are commonly used for making honey extractors. Both materials are food safe and durable and that explains why they are preferred by most manufacturers.
About the Little Giant Farm & Ag EXT2PL 2 Frame Plastic Extractor
The Little Giant Farm & Ag EXT2PL 2 Frame Plastic Extractor is a manually operated unit that suits all skill levels. Its plastic constructed which not only makes it food safe but also elongates its useful life. The unit can be used with either medium or deep frames and comes with a functional honey gate and stopper. Unfortunately, it requires some assembly but this is easy to do. It is also easy to operate, plus you get some useful instructions that guide you on how to use it.
Little Giant is a popular brand among beekeepers. It has built a good reputation when it comes to beekeeping equipment and accessories. The Ag EXT2PL 2 frame plastic extractor lives up to the brand’s name. It performs as required and has all you may desire from a good quality honey extractor. This unit will come in handy once you are ready to reap the benefits of beekeeping. You can purchase the unit at the start instead of waiting until honey harvesting. Some of the features and benefits of the unit include:
- Best suited for the beginner beekeeper.
- It is a manually powered honey extractor.
- Has a honey gate and a stopper that helps keep check on the honey flow to the collecting bucket.
- It is capable of spinning either medium or deep frames.
- You are required to assemble the hand crank.
- Delivered with complete instructions.
- It is an economical honey extractor.
- It is made of plastic.
- Boasts a conical shape bottom that directs all the honey spun to the stopper for collection. This helps minimize the amount of honey that stick on the walls.
- It measures 16 x 16 x 30.5 inches and weighs only 9.5 pounds.
Pros and Cons
- It is durable as a result of the manufacturing material for a small scale farmer.
- Easy to use as it comes with a control manual that eases working with it.
- It is conically shaped at the bottom to allow for easy collection of honey.
- Quite affordable when compared to the stainless steel models.
- It is easy to clean and maintain as the plastic gets clean when I use hot water and soap.
- It does not require electricity in order to be functional. Thus ideal for remote locations and comes in handy as a backup to an electric unit.
- Made of food safe plastic material.
- It is manufactured by a reputable global manufacturer.
- It is an economical unit. One of the most affordable to purchase and maintain, especially compared to its stainless steel counterparts.
- It is lightweight hence easy to carry and operate. It does not take much effort to use.
- Not as durable as the stainless steel extractors due to its plastic build.
- Doesn’t have a clear lid so that you can monitor progress.
- It has no legs so you would have to put the extractor on a raised surface such as a table into to drain the extracted honey.
- Requires some assembly.
- Not suitable for large scale extraction jobs.
What impressed me most with the Little Giant Farm & Ag EXT2PL 2 Frame Plastic Extractor is that I can use either the medium or deep frames and it’ll do a good job. Additionally, it comes with with a cover and a honey gate for making sure that the processed honey is collected in a safe place which will ensure that the entire honey is collected.
When I got this extractor, it only required assembling a few parts, but it was easy to put everything together. The manual it came with was showing all the instructions I needed and putting together the parts was an easy task for me. I was looking at the economical end and settling on this product ensured that I got the best results.
I would encourage you to buy this extractor if you have a few beehives in your backyard because it can manage to serve you quickly and conveniently. The frames made for this extractor are also compatible with other products in the market.
It must be noted that this extractor is made out of plastic, which makes it a bit less durable than the stainless steel alternatives.
As earlier stated, the manufacturer – Little Giant Farm & Ag, started to make this product thinking primarily of new beekeepers. This extractor is affordable, and gives you the basic tool necessary for making sure that your backyard hobby is a success.
The manufacturer offers warranty arrangement and information when you are purchasing this item. I highly recommend this product because it is a good investment for a beginner beekeeper.
Have you ever used the Little Giant Farm & Ag EXT2PL 2 Frame Plastic Extractor? Leave a comment below and let us know what your experience was like.Check Price