Thanks for visiting our website. For us to continue writing great content, we rely on our display ads. Please consider disabling your ad-blocker or whitelisting our website before proceeding.
If you purchase an independently reviewed item through our site, we earn an affiliate commission. Read our affiliate disclosure.
Reactions to insect stings can be normal or allergic. If a person has allergies, an insect sting can be life-threatening. In the case of a bee sting, it is important to remove the sting immediately, as it will release venom for some time. The longer you delay, the more venom will enter your body. The sting should not be removed by pressing with your fingers or tweezers, because then more venom will get into your body, but by taking a plastic card or the blunt side of a knife and passing it over the stung area. In the case of an insect sting in the hand, you must remove jewelry: rings, watches, bracelets, etc.
Wasps, hornets, and bumblebees do not leave stings and can sting again. But it is not advisable to crush these insects, because if the venom bubble bursts, the smell will attract more insects, which it will serve as a danger signal.
Allergic reactions can manifest as choking, swelling of the face, difficulty breathing, nettle rash all over the body, and a drop in blood pressure. Anxiety can also be a sign of a severe allergic reaction. The frightened person begins to fidget, skin turning red, beginning to swell, pulse quickens, and a headache.
How do I give first aid to a person after a sting?
If someone is having an extreme reaction after being stung, it is extremely important to help the person lie down or sit up comfortably. If the person starts to choke, sit him/her down so he/she can breathe comfortably. If they feel faint, dizzy, lay them down and raise their legs above their head. Observe and watch for signs of life from the bitten person: consciousness, breathing, pulse, skin changes. If the victim loses consciousness and stops breathing, give them artificial respiration (in 30 pressings on the chest – 2 exhalations).
Allergy doctors recommend carrying an ampoule of adrenaline during wasp and hornet season, which can be injected immediately after the sting. If the victim carries an EpiPen automatic syringe with adrenaline, the medicine should be injected into the thigh or shoulder muscles.
If the swelling spreads and the symptoms worsen, an ambulance should be called or the victim should be rushed to the nearest medical facility.
Even a person who is not allergic can be at risk if stung in the mouth or throat if he/she was drinking from a glass or jar and did not notice the stinging insects that fell inside. Local swelling as a result of the reaction can block the airways, causing a person to suffocate.
In addition, anaphylactic shock can occur, which can cause the victim’s face to swell and the voice to become hoarse. Therefore, do not wait for the swelling and take antihistamines while the person can swallow.
How can I reduce the pain of a sting at home?
If you are not allergic, you will only feel pain, throbbing, and stinging at the site. Wash the bite site well with soap and water to prevent infection. There are many medications available for stinging and itching suppression. If you don’t have them on hand, you can reduce the itching at home with toothpaste, which should be applied directly to the site. The paste neutralizes the poisonous acid produced by honeybee, wasp, or bumblebee venom. For pain relief, place a cold compress (ice or a frozen object from the freezer) on the sting site and hold for at least 10 minutes. A handkerchief, tissue, or towel soaked in water can be placed over the reddened area. The stung limb can be held under running water. Pain relief medicine should also be taken.
So, our advice will help you to understand what you need to do if you are stung by a bee, wasp or hornet. So search for help with English homework and get ready to enjoy nature!