Thanks for visiting our website. For us to continue writing great content, we rely on our display ads. Please consider disabling your ad-blocker or whitelisting our website before proceeding.
If you purchase an independently reviewed item through our site, we earn an affiliate commission. Read our affiliate disclosure.
Bees are naturally independent and that is why they can survive in the wild even in the absence of human support. But since we domesticate bees, it is wise to ensure the kind of home provided for them comes close to what they prepare by themselves when living in the wild. Good ventilation and optimal temperatures are essential for the colony’s survival. But how then do you ensure the bees get what they require with respect to these two conditions? Well, a sure way is to invest in a good quality bee hive such as the SummerHawk Ranch 34991 Victorian Teak Bee Hive. This unit has excellent interior and exterior features that make it possible for the bees to enjoy a good environment. The 8 frame Langstroth hive is best suited for all skill levels. It is a sturdy hive box that is built to host a thriving colony and meet its varying needs. For instance, bee numbers tend to decline immensely during cold months and later on increase in double digits when peak months set in. The SummerHawk Ranch 34991 beehive is spacious enough to meet this need. This version is an improved one compared to its predecessor.
Temperature and Ventilation inside the Hive Box
Bees are capable of fanning their wings so as to cause air movement within the hive. This is done for two purposes: cool the hive and dehydrate nectar. The modern hive kits with the regular spaced frames are ideally designed to provide convenience to the beekeeper but in most cases will not meet the needs of the bees with respect to ventilation. A good understanding of how bees operate can make it easy for the bees to thrive within the colony. A well-designed hive box interior will minimize the work required in terms of ventilating the hive. This work will be channeled to other productive hive chores such as honey making and feeding the queen. Ultimately, hive productivity will improve.
The brood nest temperature is vital for the survival of the colony. Bees control the interior temperature with precision. The brood requires temperatures of between 32 to 35°C in order to develop normally. When temperatures go beyond this limit, the bees provide ventilation through fanning. Conversely, when temperatures drop heat is generated by contracting and relaxing their flight muscles.
Even though bees can manage the temperatures and ventilation on their own, it is important to support them by providing a well-designed hive box. a good hive will provide the right temperature and air flow.
About the SummerHawk Ranch Victorian Teak 34991 Beehive
This 8 frame modern hive box boasts the following features and benefits:
- It comes with a quick-check viewing window located at its rear. This helps the beekeeper when monitoring progress and the condition of the hive and bees. You do not disturb the bees when doing this.
- It comes with a screened bottom board that has notches cut out so that the hive can be attached securely to the hive stand.
- The SummerHawk Ranch Victorian Teak Hive Stand availed separately is used for attachment to the notches on the bottom board.
- The unit comes with 8 wooden frames with plastic foundation.
- The box is fitted with a telescopic roof that acts as a buffer against rain and direct sunlight. The roof is fitted with a runoff gutter that directs rain water and other unwanted materials away from the hive.
- It makes an excellent brood box which can then be expanded as the bee colony grows.
- This is a new and improved version of the initial model. New features include a Quick-Check hive window, an installation template, as well as instructions. It requires some assembly.
- The unit has dimensions of 22.9 x 22.9 x 21 inches and weighs 15.88 pounds. Its shipping weight is 31 pounds.
Pros and Cons
- The quick-check viewing window makes it easy to check out the hive without disturbing the bees.
- The telescopic roof provides shelter against rain and direct sunlight.
- It comes with a hive stand that fits easily to the cut-out notches.
- Good starter hive and brood box that will grow with your business.
- Comes with plastic foundation.
- The beekeeping kit is delivered with instructions that will guide the beekeeper.
- It is easy to assemble the unit.
- Its spacious interior provides maximum flow of air within the hive. This is needed for cooling the hive and regulating temperature.
- It is affordable when compared to similar kits.
- You have to assemble the unit.
- The hive stand is sold separately.
The SummerHawk Ranch 34991 Victorian Teak Beehive makes an ideal brooding box. It is a unit that is loved by many and hated by a few. The 8 frame Langstroth hive makes an excellent addition to the professional and will also serve well the beginner who wants to begin by rearing a brood then add supers as the colony grows. The exterior and interior parts of the hive boasts features that ensure the bees enjoy a favorable environment even during unbearable weather conditions. The telescopic roof in particular provides shelter and has a runoff gutter which directs rain water away from the hive box. You will love the Quick-Check viewing window since it makes it possible to monitor progress without disturbing the bees. Other impressive features include: the hive stand, plastic foundation, and installation template.
The SummerHawk Ranch 34991 Victorian Teak Beehive offers some great features. I would never hesitate in recommending it. It is very modern and stylish. The new and improved model has been designed to make the work of the beekeeper easy and eliminate bee disturbance. The unit also has a telescoping roof designed using commercial grade material. This is required for sheltering the bees throughout all seasons. The box will come in handy for the beekeeper who wants to rear a brood then add more supers as the bee colony increases. It is well-suited for all skill levels and it is surprisingly affordable. It is a definite value for the money.
Do you own the SummerHawk Ranch 34991 Victorian Teak Beehive? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think of it.Check Price