One of the decisions that cripple most beginner beekeepers is deciding which type of hive to go for. That’s not all, hive placement becomes another challenge once a beehive kit has been procured. These two aspects are critical for success in beekeeping but we are here to help you.
Beehive kits are never created equal and they all have their unique features and benefits. None of them is perfect too but it is important to minimize the flaws and maximize on benefits when choosing your beehive kit. It is equally important to consider beekeeping kit reviews before making your decision. An unbiased review of any given product can give you an insight of what to expect from such a product. One beehive box that seems to be popular among beekeepers is the KO1 Bee Hive with Apimaye Handy Frames. It boasts a unique design and offers what the bees desire from a good home. The pre-assembled unit is built using New Zealand pine and is one of the best when it comes to controlling the notorious Varroa mite. The Apimaye distributed kit is a 10 frame beehive that will intrigue you on first glance.
This is an important step that is preceded by beehive selection. It is important to consider where you will place your beehive since bees are highly sensitive and territorial. Any trespasser may earn his share of sting if they provoke a bee colony. A colony can also abandon a hive if conditions are not favorable for their survival. Some of the ideal conditions for hive placement include:
- Safety – this should be on top of your list when considering where to place your beehive. The chosen area should be away from heavy foot traffic especially close to the hive entrance. It is wise to place the hive out of sight preferably behind a visual barrier.
- Ease of access – the hive location should make it easy for you to access it. A hive that has an observation window can be a good choice for it makes it easy to observe the bees. Ensure the box is placed within a 2 to 3 feet diameter of open space around it.
- Elevation – bees follow the terrain when making honey combs and therefore you need to place the hive on level ground. If the ground you can use is too sloppy, try to improvise it by placing rocks, scrap wood, garden tiles beneath the hive such that the hive lies on a level ground. By doing this, it also becomes easy to access the hive instead of struggling with a sloppy ground.
- Sunlight – place the hive in a place that allows the bees to access a direct early morning sun. This is required for warming up the flight muscles. Ideally, bees can generate heat by vibrating their flight muscles and this takes up lots of energy. To avoid this wastage position the hive in a place that can get direct early morning sun.
- Water – this is vital for the survival of the colony. It is used for making bee bread and also regulating temperature. Ensure a reliable source of water is within 50 to 100 feet from the hive.
- Wind direction – the hive should be placed away from harsh winds. This not only helps prevent the hives from tipping during heavy storms but it also helps in temperature regulation.
- Regulations – ensure your hive is placed according to requirements of your local regulations. Check all the laws applicable before selecting a hive location.
Features and Benefits of the KO1 Bee Hive
This beehive can be best described as a universal box that will work well for both the beginner and professional. It is has all the features required to provide a conducive environment for a thriving bee colony and is also well-secured from predators and pests. Some of its defining features and benefits include:
- The unit has 10 Apimaye plastic frames.
- Comes with plastic Apimaye bottom board that is strong and does not mold or warp.
- Comes with an in-built pollen trap, screen bottom board, as well as pollen tray. Its bottom board comes with a mouse guard and adjustable entrance.
- The hive box is made using excellent quality New Zealand pine that is hardy and longer lasting.
- Placement of beeswax foundations can be accomplished without embedding or wiring.
- This unit allows for the production of section comb honey.
- It has a top feeder that is filled with candy and syrup. This has a capacity of 1 gallon and is filled without disturbing the bees. This top feeder helps prevent bee drowning which is common with other beehive kits.
- The hive box has an insulated telescopic top cover that comes with holes for ventilation in order to avoid moisture buildup at winter.
- Comes assembled.
- This unit is ideal for areas that are prone to Varroa mite and small hive beetle.
- The hive box weighs barely 31.8 pounds and has dimensions of 21.9 x 19.6 x 17.4 inches.
Pros and Cons
- It is already assembled when shipped.
- Has the added benefit of keepeing off the Varroa mite and small hive beetle.
- Has a top feeder that helps prevent bee drowning.
- Made of high quality New Zealand pine hence strong and durable.
- Perfect for all skill levels.
- Hive components are high quality and longer lasting.
- Comes with a telescopic top cover that has holes for ventilation.
- You need to install the wax foundation.
The distinctive KO1 Bee Hive is one I would never hesitate in recommending to a friend. It is a New Zealand pine constructed 10 frame hive kit that comes with some amazing features. I particularly love the bottom board with its two adjustable entrance and mouse guard. The top feeder also helps prevent the bees from drowning. This unit is well-ventilated thanks to the telescopic top cover. For price it is a steal for the savvy buyer.
A Final Word
There is much to expect from the KO1 Bee Hive. If you are the beginner looking for a hive that is easy to work with then this unit will serve you well. It will also work well for the professional who wants to bring in additional hives. Those who reside in areas prone to small beehive beetle and Varroa mite will appreciate this unit. It can also withstand humid climates. At 31.8 pounds, it is easy to handle. However, it will weigh more when the bees are established and combs filled with honey.
Do you own the KO1 Bee Hive? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think of it.Check Price