Of all creatures tamed by man, the honeybee remains as one of the most mysterious of all. These small insects are generally territorial in nature and thrive when they live in groups. A bee colony can be compared to a community of mutually dependent creatures whose existence is affected by the other. The beehive is home to the bees and will host a bee colony which is usually made up of at least 80,000 individuals (at peak season). The population within a bee colony is never stable given the seasonal changes. Most bees die during cold months and those that survive populate the hive after the hard months are over. A good hive will provide the right environment for the bees. Such a hive should provide the right temperature, moisture content, and aeration. The Brushy Mountain Bee Farm English Garden Hive Beginner’s Kit is a beehive built to withstand all weather changes. Most beekeepers prefer the unit given the fact that it offers all you can ask for and it is within reach for most buyers.
What defines an ideal home for bees?
It is important to note that bees establish their own homes in the wild without depending on humans. However, man has learned to keep them in a man-made structure such as the Brushy Mountain Bee Farm English Garden Hive. This refers to a hive where the bees can make their home. The hive allows the beekeeper to keep many more bees within one space that is easy to access and manage. The hive also serves other purposes which include: entertainment and education.
Bees are highly sensitive and hence the need to keep their house according to what they need. A good home for your bees should meet the following:
- Shelter and Safety – bees are conscious of their own safety and that is why you can never find a wild bee colony on the ground. Most of them seek shelter and safety above the surface. This could be a hollow tree or mountain crevice. Therefore, the ideal hive should provide shelter and safety above the ground. It should not be easily accessible to predators and honeybee pests.
- Expansion – bees live as a colony and the more the number the greater their chance of survival. This means more pollinators and more honey production. Thus your desired hive should have room to accommodate the growing bee population. Choose a hive that can be expanded when the need arises.
- Ventilation and Dry conditions – bees prefer well ventilated and dry conditions. Choose a hive that has good air flow and remains dry in all seasons. Ideal hives are those that have screened inner covers, screened bottom boards, and elevated hive stands.
Features and Benefits of the Brushy Mountain Bee Farm English Garden Hive Beginner’s Kit
The hive kit from Brushy Mountain boasts some amazing features. It is easy to work with, provides sufficient inner space for a huge bee colony, and is well designed to act as a buffer to extreme weather conditions. It will work well for any starter who needs a hive that is easy to handle and will also serve well the professional bee keeper with need for an extra hive to boost his business. The kit is delivered with additional beekeeping accessories, that is, cowhide gloves and a hatless veil. Some of this unit’s notable features include the following”
- The unit is available in small, medium, and large size options.
- An English A-frame top.
- It has an inner cover.
- Included are 2 cypress medium supers.
- Comes with 16 assembled black super frames: wooden frame supers with plastic foundation.
- The box has an entrance reducer.
- The telescopic cover provides a good shelter for the bees from sunlight and rainfall. This is complemented by the inner cover that ensures the interior is kept at optimum condition.
- There is a cypress entrance feeder, a plastic Quart Jar.
- Unit is delivered with a beekeeping brush also. You will use this to brush off bees during harvesting, making splits, or when rearing the queen.
- Package comes with a Brushy Mountain Smoker with fuel included.
- You also get a Standard 10 inch hive tool when you buy this beekeeping unit.
- A beginner’s DVD, Hatless veil, and a book with the title Backyard Beekeeper in addition to a cowhide gloves are also included in the package. What an easy way to get started in keeping bees.
- Just like all other beekeeping equipment from Brushy Mountain Bee Farm, this unit comes in standard size.
Pros and Cons
- You have various options to choose from: small, medium, or large beehive kit.
- The unit has an excellent design that provide an ideal home for the bees: inner cover, entrance reducer, and spacious interior.
- Easy to work with especially those who have back problems. All equipment from Brushy Mountain come in standard size and is easy to work with.
- It is functional and will work well for both the beginner and professional.
- The hive box is made of excellent quality Cypress wood that is not only strong but also longer lasting.
- The 16 super frames come already assembled, are wooden, and have plastic foundation.
- The fact that this beekeeping kit comes with an entrance feeder is a huge advantage to the beekeeper.
- Telescopic cover gives the required shelter.
- No need to paint the hive box, it looks good as it is.
- The kit is delivered with learning materials including a beginner’s DVD and a Book.
- It comes with other freebies: hatless veil, cowhide gloves, and hive tool.
- It is affordable.
- No negative feature noted.
I find Brushy Mountain’s beehive beginner’s kit to be well-built for the job. It is a unit I can never hesitate in recommending to any beekeeper. The 8 frame garden hive has all you can desire from a modern beehive. Some of the key features: a complete and assembled box, cypress supers with foundation, an inner cover, telescopic cover, entrance reducer, feeder, and other beekeeping accessories. The unit suits both the beginner and the professional who wants to scale up his or her operation.
A Final Word
You can never go wrong with the Brushy Mountain Bee Farm English Garden Hive Beginner’s Kit. This unit is built using cypress wood which is not only strong but longer lasting. All inner components are high quality and longer lasting as well. At the exterior is a telescopic cover that provides shelter against weather elements such as rain and sunlight. You will also get some informative content from the Book and the DVD delivered with the unit.