Thanks for visiting our website. For us to continue writing great content, we rely on our display ads. Please consider disabling your ad-blocker or whitelisting our website before proceeding.
If you purchase an independently reviewed item through our site, we earn an affiliate commission. Read our affiliate disclosure.
The beekeeping journey is an interesting one. An adventure that exciting yet not so lacking with a good share of ups and downs. The first year is particularly a seemingly insurmountable hill for the beginning beekeeper but fortunately, you will make it given the plenty of insights and resource available in the digital era. One of the areas that pose a serious challenge to the beekeeper is the issue with pests and parasites. The honey bee is a tiny insect that is bullied by many intruders who seek a share of the sweet honey. Some even find the bees delicious and will feast on an entire brood. Apart from pests and parasites, diseases are a serious threat to your bees as well. As an overseer of the hive and the bees, you have to be always ahead of your enemy.
One of your major decisions that will give you a top start is the hive kit you choose. This is where the bees will live. It should not only be comfortable for the bees but should also be well secured from predation and diseases. Auspiciously, one of the simplest ways to safeguard your bees is by the choice of the hive. Choose a good hive kit and you are guaranteed to have a good start. In this article we will review the Arboria 8 Frame Pinewood Beehive Starter Kit and see if it lives up to these high expectations.
About the Arboria 8 Frame Pinewood Beehive Starter Kit
One of the easiest ways to kick-start the beekeeping journey is through the purchase of a beekeeping starter kit. This simply means you get all you require under one package. The Arboria 8 frame starter kit is made up of most of what you need when you want to raise bees. The hive box is made of pine wood and its interior comes with all accessories required by the bees. At the top of the hive is a telescopic cover that secures the colony from nature elements. Some of the notable components within the interior of the 8 frame box are: a solid bottom board, foundations, an inner cover, and frames.
- Available is the 8 frame deep hive box with a telescopic cover, deep frames, inner cover, foundations, and a bottom board.
- The manufacturer chose pine wood for a reason. This is durable, strong, and has excellent insulation. Bees tend to love pine as well.
- Most of the parts of the hive come pre-assembled. The screws and nails are waxed and are included for the deep frames and the hive body.
- The instructions are provided for easy assembly.
- It features all the parts required except the bees. It is also compatible with standard Langstroth hive components and hence expandable. You can buy additional frames separately.
- The telescopic cover and the bottom board are assembled on delivery. The hive body, and deep frames are unassembled. The foundations are waxed already.
- It is a USA made product and comes at an affordable price. It is much cheaper when compared to similar products in the market.
- The hive dimensions are 16 x 22 ½ x 14 ¼ inches.
Pros and Cons
- Has all needed to get started in beekeeping, except the bees.
- The pine wood used does not shrink over time and will not warp also.
- It is expandable.
- It comes with assembly instructions that are easy to follow.
- The telescopic cover is already assembled.
- The bottom board is also assembled.
- The hive box and components are portrays an excellent workmanship put to work.
- Value for the money.
- It is made of strong and longer lasting pine wood.
- Comes with screws and nails.
- The wood takes in nails without breaking and it is also easy to paint.
- No negative feature noted.
The Arboria 8 Frame Pinewood Beehive Starter Kit is an excellent starter hive suited for anyone who wants to start and grow a colony of bees. It exudes exceptional craftsmanship put into making of the hive box and all its components. The nicely built hive box is expandable and that means a starter can begin small and grow over the years. The pine wood in particular has been chosen for a reason. This is strong, durable, has an alluring overall look, and bees love it. This would does not crack also when you drive the nails and screws.
It is also worth mentioning that the hive box is unassembled and comes with assembly instructions that are easy to follow. The metal top offers good shelter to the bees. Remember bees are very sensitive to weather changes. A slight amount of moisture or cold wind getting into the hive can lead to a colony loss.
Diseases and pests thrive best under poor hive conditions. This well-built hive box ensures the hive stays dry and is well insulated and aerated. It takes minutes to assemble the box and the fact that the screws and nails are provided makes things much easier for the beekeeper. In terms of pricing, the manufacturer seems to have considered all skill levels, it is competitively priced and within reach for most buyers starters included. I particularly love the design of the interior parts. These provide a good environment for the bees to live in.
A Final Word
Beekeeping has never been easy to begin as it is in the current generation. The Arboria 8 Frame Pinewood Beehive Starter Kit is one such kit that has made it so much easier for anyone to start keeping bees. All you need to get started have been provided except the bees. You can get the bees from a local beekeeper or order from suppliers online. The hive box from interior to the exterior has been built with colony needs in mind. The bees will find the hive box ideal for all its needs. This is a hive kit I would never hesitate in suggesting to one of my friends.
Do you own the Arboria 8 Frame Pinewood Beehive Starter Kit. Leave a comment below and let us know what you think of it.Check Price